Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Updating the existing bathroom/toilet/laundry

SammyE
Cultivating a Following

Updating the existing bathroom/toilet/laundry

Hi, I'm hoping to get some ideas on how to update a bathroom/toilet and laundry.

Currently our only bathroom and the only toilet are independent. We are thinking of updating this so that we have an ensuite (bathroom - includes toilet) and the main bathroom ( with toilet) separately by converting the laundry. 

Please see the flow plan below. I have also included the measures of the existing areas. 

3dPlan.jpg

plan.jpg

State at present:

• Bathroom (2.9  x 1.7 ) has two sliding doors on either sides (one opening to the master bed room and the other to the passage way). There's a small bath, vanity and a shower cubicle. Next to the bath is a pretty big window (1.5 w x 1.3 h) with plantation shutters. Sonds a little complicated. please refer to pics.

bathroom.jpg  shower.jpg

• Toilet (1.6 x 1.1) is just outside the bathroom, again with plantation shutters (0.8 w x 1.3h) and no wash basin.

toilet.jpg

• Laundry (2.5 x 1.8) is next to the toilet with a door to the outside and the normal entry via the shared passage way.

Laundry.jpg

Since we just purchased the property we need to find the most optimum and affordable solution to make this project a reality. FYI the house is a single story house with a concerete floor. 

Really appreciate your support in achieving this, may be in stages as our budget is pretty tight.

Our current thoughts are as follows: (please feel free to provide your feedback)

En-suite bathroom

• Remove the shower cubicle and move the shower to the bath
  • Add the toilet to where the shower was
  • Close the sliding door (passage side)

Extra bathroom/toilet

• Close the passage entrance from the living area and move it further down. This way the new passage entrance is in-front of the laundry entrance.  This will be the entry point to the 2nd bedroom, the laundry and the extra toilet/bathroom.

Re: Updating the existing bathroom/toilet/laundry

Awesome work as always @redracer01.  

What are your thoughts @SammyE?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TayaRoberts
Cultivating a Following

i would put the laundry into the cupboard at the top of the image that is currently behind the shower, seal up the door from the hall into the main bath and make that the ensuite remove the bath its not a necessity in an en suite, put a toilet in place of the bath. I would then turn the entire hall laundry and current toilet into one big wet room (assuming non structural walls as if they are load bearing that would get expensive) doing that allows enough room for bath shower toilet vanity etc you should even be able to get a full floor to ceiling height linen cupboard in there to make up for taking away the closet for the new laundry closet (you would need to relocate the bedroom door on the bedroom to the right into that main area also i am not sure what that is and if that would be apropriate)

SammyE
Cultivating a Following

WOW! Awesome work @redracer01 ! Many thanks for taking time. 

I have a couple of questions.

1. I was hoping to seal the second door to the ensuite from hall way as it'll be unnecessary when we have an extra bathroom. Would that change your suggested plan much? I hope you didn't expect to keep both doors?

2. Currently there's a sliding door in the laundary. If we're turning the laundary into a bathroom, that'll have to be sealed too, won't it? Any other suggestions to make the change more affordable?

3. Do you think this set up is more affordable than having the bathrooms back to back leaving the laundary as it is? I mean installing a toilet where the current bath is and build the new bathroom along with the existing toilet?

Big Thanks!

SammyE
Cultivating a Following

Some good ideas here @TayaRoberts ! Thanks!

I also need to close the ensuite door to hallway, and rather than having the L shape ensuite including the current toilet, I prefer to have it in the second toilet.

I personally prefer to have an independent laundary room but I'd go ahead with the most affordable option if converting the laundry is cheaper than having a whole new bathroom in the middle (between launtry and ensuite). In that case, I don't mind having the laundry inside the main bathroom.

Appreciate your opinion.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects