Workshop
Ask a question

Dealing with washing machine rust

Monument
Building a Reputation

Dealing with washing machine rust

Very glad to be back on the forum after being laid low for a couple of months - a lot of work to catch up on! As the attached pic makes clear,  our 13 year old washing machine has seen better days with exterior rust damage on the corners and side (I have pulled the machine out and taken off the bottom cover for the photo)   The laminated (or by some process,  it wouldn't be electroplating?) plastic finish has and is progressively peeling away. When in it's normal position with cover on this problem has only gradually appeared over the years and the stainless steel barrel is sound as is the motor. Of course I should have got onto it before this stage but given that the Whirlpool appears determined to kick on I want to try and at least improve the appearance.  I assume the start is to strip off the finish surrounding the area as far as the rust spreads and to deal with the rust/surface with the appropriate products to prevent recurrence. But the next step is where I really need suggestions/advice (unless I've said something dumb above in which case please feel free to correct!),  it seems from the web that people use paint after repair in this situation but the results I have seen are ... well ... not to my taste.  I was wondering if there was any way of replacing the the finish with something that, to the passing eye, is unremarkable?  Any feedback most welcome."Mechanically A1,  some rust... ""Mechanically A1, some rust... "

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Re: Suggestions/Advice Please - External washing machine rust

After you get rid of the rust, this might be a good option @Monumenthttps://www.rustoleum.com.au/product-catalog/consumer-brands/specialty/appliance-epoxy-spray/

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: Suggestions/Advice Please - External washing machine rust

I wonder whether you could use an auto paint product? Obviously rusted panels in cars aren't uncommon - what do people use to touch up rusty panels or is that not something that anyone does anymore?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects