Workshop
Ask a question

Bathroom renovation in old home with no toilet

Justlucky2k2
Cultivating a Following

Bathroom renovation in old home with no toilet

This is my first post. I live in an old home which has no toilet inside the house. Inside bathroom has bathtub which i never use and shower screen is bit narrow for taking a confirtable shower. I want to get rid of tub and install a toilet and increase the space of shower. I have attached the current layout of the bathroom. What design layout would be better with minimal investment.

Someone suggest me to use open shower with fixed wall glass and install toilet near the window. Bathroom is 1600mm in width and 2300mm in length.  The opening of the door is also in wrong direction but that is an easy fix.

IMG_5885.JPGIMG_5886.JPGIMG_5887.JPG

Toilet-Plan.jpg

Justlucky2k2
Cultivating a Following

Re: Suggestion for a bathroom renovation

Correction: Please read "Open toilet 950 width" as Bathroom. Thanks

Hi @Justlucky2k2,

Welcome to Workshop. We're pleased to have you join the community and look forward to seeing how your bathroom renovation project progresses. Our community members love a good reno project so I'm sure you'll receive plenty of helpful advice. 

Good job with sharing the floor plans. You might also like to take a couple of photos so members can see what you are working with. Could you also clarify if "Open toilet 950 width" actually meant "Open shower 950 width"?

Thanks again for joining in the discussion on Workshop and please let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the site, or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Justlucky2k2
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Jason,

Yes it was a typo, I meant that open bathroom width as 950mm. I will share the pictures as the project make some progress.

No worries @Justlucky2k2. But that area is where you have proposed the shower goes?

I'd recommend you share some photos now as it will really help members to visualise the space that you are working with and make more informed suggestions.

Thanks again,

Jason

Justlucky2k2
Cultivating a Following

Thanks, I have added some photos

Fantastic, thanks @Justlucky2k2.

Let me tag @redracer01 as he might like to kick of the discussion for you.

Jason

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

I suggest tiles that look like timber. Where the walls are white I suggest white tiles 600 x 300 high gloss with minimum gaps with super white grout. The towel rail and shelves can be adjusted so that the swing of the door is avoided upon opening and closing. But I suggest maximize the length if possible. Highlight tiles on top of the toilet is optional it is a personal choice. There is not enough room for a 750 vanity, unless you want your shoulders hitting the vanity every time you sit on the dunny. I suggest 600 but not smaller. A nice bright LED light to replace the light in the bathroom and one above the mirror which I forgot to draw in. Above all a 3 in 1 heat, light and fan combo to remove all the moisture.

I strongly suggest a plinth at the entrance of your walk in shower. It does not have to be that high. It can be just 50mm high by 50mm thick, running the full length of your shower. It is to prevent excess water from traveling out of the shower area. It is an old fashioned idea, but cannot be faulted for its effectiveness and usefulness. Just mind the step. It also helps to keep the bottom of your shower glass panel from being constantly wet and slows down mold growth on the glass. Tiles are easier to clean.

Enjoy the drawings and drop me a line if you have any questions.

That window must be thorougly sealed with bondo to prevent water damage. Oil based paint is highly recommended just for this particular window.That window must be thorougly sealed with bondo to prevent water damage. Oil based paint is highly recommended just for this particular window.Layout is based on 2300 x 1600 all apliances are measured to actual live products. These are common sizes but not absolute, please refer to manufacturers specs upon purchase.Layout is based on 2300 x 1600 all apliances are measured to actual live products. These are common sizes but not absolute, please refer to manufacturers specs upon purchase.Shampoo, soap and all the lotions and potions that may need space.Shampoo, soap and all the lotions and potions that may need space.I missed drawing the light for the mirror, I also missed the indented shampoo cavity inside the shower. don't forget it when you have it tiled or you will reaching for the shampoo on the floor!I missed drawing the light for the mirror, I also missed the indented shampoo cavity inside the shower. don't forget it when you have it tiled or you will reaching for the shampoo on the floor!Here is a nice chalk render makes it easy on the eyes and is not so harsh.Here is a nice chalk render makes it easy on the eyes and is not so harsh.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Great use of limited space @redracer01. Well done! 

What do you think @Justlucky2k2?

Jason

Justlucky2k2
Cultivating a Following

@redracer01 Thank you so much, this is indeed a great design. I will start working on the same and keep posting the progress with pictures. We will install the tiles of bit different colors as we saw a friend's bathroom and wife liked the patterns.

I have taken your suggestion and decided to install 600mm vanity. I have 1 question, instead of plinth, can we keep the tiling of shower area down by 20mm from rest of the floor. This will help to keep the water inside and from outside of the bathroom, it would look good aesthetically. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects