Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should the toilet have its own room?

RenoQueen
Making a Splash

Should the toilet have its own room?

Just read a story on Domain - should the toilet have its own room or not?

Designers seem split. Some argue the bathroom should be a place for bathing and relaxation and you don't want the undesirable aspects of a toilet in there. Plus of course the access and privacy factors. But others argue that's old fashioned because most houses have plenty of bathrooms so there's no reason to seperate them anymore. 

I would prefer to have more space in the bathroom than have them separate and cramped. What do you think?

Mick
Cultivating a Following

Re: Should the toilet have its own room?

Keep them seperate if you possibly can for everyone's benefit. And put a basin in so people can wash their hands. 

aly
Making a Splash

I'm with @Mick. Would much prefer a seperate toilet and an added bonus is having a sink in there too. I wouldn't count this as a critical house factor though, more a 'nice to have' thing. It's a lot better hygenically.

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Keep them seperate if you can.

Regarding having a basin, what's everyone's thoughts on these? A space saver and water saver, but too strange?

5d1ef15e-cad7-4022-b601-ba81253a155f.jpg

Yonnee
Having an Impact

@Kermit I've seen that before... Neat idea. 

And as for separate rooms, it's really a personal choice, but I don't quite see how it's "old fashioned" to want privacy. We have two toilets, one in the ensuite and the other a separate room next to the bathroom at the other end of the house. If the ensuite is occupied, and teenaged Son was showering in the bathroom, all hell would break out if teenaged Daughter needed to go to the toilet if it were in the same room as the bathroom.!!

I can only think of one house I know of that has the toilet in the main bathroom, but it's a two storey house, with a third toilet off the main family room downstairs. I like looking at house plans, and I can't recall seeing one without a separate toilet...??

Hi Kermit,

Love it,   do you have a manufacturer???

Had some months  in Japan and having  the handbasin there was really fabulous...

Picture looks a little funny,  but space saving??

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

I'm with yonnee, old fashioned to want privacy???? 8 (
The stately, elegant house across the road from where I was brought up, had a brick outdoor loo, & china bed pans were kept under each bed.
Oh how things've changed. ; )
In this day & age where houses have a plethora of rooms, with some barely used at all, it confounds me why anyone would question the worth (cost cut) of rooms that you HAVE to use.

The combined basin/toilet is something that I hoped would hit the market. I wish I'd patented the idea, back then. : (

Oh to have had a brick out house instead of weatherboard,  most likely it was made from scraps from the SECV,  and China Chamber pots....  I wish I had one now...never had them then,  it was always out back we went.

I dont mind privacy.  but how long do people use the toilet for???  that has got me puzzled....  I have overseas students coming in for holidays in their summer,  and if I had a seperate toilet it would be bedlam and infighting....

This way everyone know to be considerate and have a quick shower and same with toilet,  no reading of magazine / newspaper allowed.  but I have made concession,  have installed the old one out back  so when a queue.......  But them I dont have a big house....and I dont feel inclined to spend extra $10000 to make a second toilet....  boys and visit the lemon tree and girl can visit the outhouse in yard ....  boy Im  tough LOL

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Oh JaninaG-NoDoDo, oh how I love you.
I too am frustrated by the "I'm building a statement, because we work long hours, & we're worth it".
I'll never bad-mouth anyone that thinks that way, but how much easier it would it be for them if they weren't swept up by the social hard sell? It's come to the point where couples are both working ridiculous hours to indulge their social fantasies, & don't give a thought to question that they're set to locked into 40 years of debt.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects