Workshop
Ask a question

Remove Mould in 30 Seconds?

PJA
Having an Impact

Remove Mould in 30 Seconds?

30Seconds.pngSo almost every day I/we get asked for something that will remove Mould from the shower. I guess I'm not the only one that has tried everything. So I used to tell my customers that nothing works except for lots of elbow grease. I went to the Bunnings Expo and these clowns were flogging 30 SECOND MOULD OFF. I went over to their stand and laughed at them. I told them that nothing will remove Mould without hard scrubbing even then you wouldn't get it all. I challenged them to give me a sample because I wouldn't waste my money on something I already knew wouldn't work. They reluctantly gave me a bottle and said read the instructions. I'm a bloke, read the instructions? But armed with a full bottle at their expense I read the instructions. OK so 30 Seconds is a name not a description. It takes 30 Seconds to apply. You leave it for 5 minutes before rinsing it off. If it has been there for a long time, the mould, then you may have to give it a couple of goes, but guess what? IT WORKS! IT REALLY DOES. so you need to tell the world.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Remove Mould in 30 Seconds? It'll never happen. Or Will it??

Active ingredients
Sodium hypochlorite 7681-52-9 25g/L
Sodium carbonate 497-19-8 10g/L
Sodium hypochlorite is a chemical compound with the formula NaClO. It is composed of a sodium cation (Na+
) and a hypochlorite anion (ClO−
); it may also be viewed as the sodium salt of hypochlorous acid. When dissolved in water it is commonly known as bleach or liquid bleach.[1] Sodium hypochlorite is practically and chemically distinct from chlorine.[2] Sodium hypochlorite is frequently used as a disinfectant or a bleaching agent.
Sodium carbonate (also known as washing soda, soda ash and soda crystals), Na2CO3, is the water-soluble sodium salt of carbonic acid.

It most commonly occurs as a crystalline decahydrate, which readily effloresces to form a white powder, the monohydrate. Pure sodium carbonate is a white, odorless powder that is hygroscopic (absorbs moisture from the air). It has a strongly alkaline taste, and forms a moderately basic solution in water. Sodium carbonate is well known domestically for its everyday use as a water softener. It can be extracted from the ashes of many plants growing in sodium-rich soils, such as vegetation from the Middle East, kelp from Scotland and seaweed from Spain. Because the ashes of these sodium-rich plants were noticeably different from ashes of timber (used to create potash), they became known as "soda ash".[12] It is synthetically produced in large quantities from salt (sodium chloride) and limestone by a method known as the Solvay process.

Not a real wiz on chemistry but it sounds like one is acidic and the other alkaline with a lemon fresh scent.

From the MSDS
The SWA TWA exposure value is the average airborne concentration of a particular substance when calculated over a normal 8 hour working day
for a 5 day working week. The STEL (Short Term Exposure Limit) is an exposure value that may be equalled (but should not be exceeded) for no
longer than 15 minutes and should not be repeated more than 4 times per day. There should be at least 60 minutes between successive exposures
at the STEL. The term "peak "is used when the TWA limit, because of the rapid action of the substance, should never be exceeded, even briefly.

pH: No data but known to be alkaline.

Incompatibilities: acids, amines, zinc, tin, aluminium and their alloys. (shower screen frame?)

This product is very toxic to aquatic organisms. It will not accumulate in the soil or water or cause long term problems.
However, until diluted or neutralised it will kill all aquatic organisms it contacts due to extreme pH.

A fair bit of that is bum cover, their product knowledge is a bit vague in parts

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Thanks @PJA for bringing up the subject of mould eradication, & thanks @Brad for taking time to read labels & pass it on.

Best thing ever, I dug up our old, not used in years steam cleaner, a Karcher Vaporapid 1501, to re-evaluate its performance. I wasn't impressed with its performance before, but I wasn't well back then either, so I was open to giving it a fair go.

To my delight, it's worked a charm today, it's not WHAM BAM TV special fast, & I'm not done yet, but what I have done, is completely mould free. I'm dealing with mosaic tiles, & acres of grout, so don't judge me. :wink:

I'm confident that it'll be spotless when I'm done, health hazard free, & all I've used is some electricity (on solar anyway), & a couple of litres of tap water.

Bunnings sell steam cleaners, so chat with the friendly staff & see what's best for you.

The choice is yours, pay for dodgey caustic/acidic cocktails for the rest of your lives, or opt for a one off investment in your family health.

For those on a tight budget, Gumtree & eBay are your friend. :wink:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the recommendation @PJA. I hate scrubbing the grout in the shower so I'm prepared to give it a go.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Breaking news

The steam cleaner did a great job yesterday, it wasn't fast, but it wasn't hard work either.

Tania pointed out some spots that I'd missed yesterday, so I fired up the steamer to redo that patch, but this time I used a Josco-3-piece-hand-wire-brush-kit, in conjunction with the steam & it super fast, & effective.

I cleaned our kitchen sink drains with a blast of steam & old toothbrush, came up a treat.

Don't like the occasional toilet scrub up? Good news, steamers are good for that too.

Armed with what I now know/have discovered, armed with a steel Josco wire brush, we could've gotten away with a far cheaper steam cleaner, & so can you.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

I forgot to mention before, that when using the fine steel brush in conjunction with the steam, it's not like scrubbing, it's virtually like brushing teeth & it's fast. Bearing in mind that our cubicle has 50mm mosaic tiles, I'd expect that even with subway tiles, a cubicle could be spotless in 10 minutes, with 300mm probably 6 minutes, & 600mm maybe 5 minutes or less. Being so easy & fast, it's more likely that you'll do it more regularly, so you won't be showering in a grungy cubicle.

Just a thought.

To lighten the financial burden, rather than people each buying a steamer, why not split the cost with neighbours, or family or friends, & share it? If that interests you & your share group, you could maybe consider a steamer/vac, they're extremely versatile, great for carpet, freshening upholstery, leather, removing wrinkles from cloths etc etc.

darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

@PJA  Mate, I still swear by the CLR Kitchen and Bathroom cleaner.  Stinks a treat but sooooooooo easy to use.

Good to know, thanks

Annette
Making a Splash

@PJA - Thank you, thank you, thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried 30 Seconds Mould Off the other day and it has changed my life as far as cleaning the bathroom goes. This product worked better and quicker than any other anti-mould product I have EVER tried. I am now in the process of getting rid of all the useless products that have gathered in the laundry cupboard. I FULLY recommend 30 Seconds Mould Off and will be telling friends and family about this fabulous product.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

@PJA

This article suggests bleach doesn't get rid of mould, it only lightens the colour so you can't see it, and its certain to grow back - https://www.domain.com.au/living/7-common-cleaning-mistakes-youre-probably-making-20180312-h0xbzb/

It suggests using a vinegar solution or rubbing alcohol. What do you think?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects