Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Plumbing issue - unable to unscrew faucet flange

AndrewL
Just Starting Out

Plumbing issue - unable to unscrew faucet flange

Council regulations require taps to be siliconed.  Some overzealous plumber must have siliconed the Caroma cone shaped flange making it unable to be unscrewed without damaging it.  Any solutions to unscrew the chromed flange without damaging it?unopenable flangeunopenable flange

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Plumbing issue - unable to unscrew faucet flange

Welcome to Workshop @AndrewL. We're pleased to have you join us and trust that you'll get loads of useful advice and inspiration for your projects from our clever and creative members. 

Let me tag some of our members with plumbing experience for you, including @redracer01@MitchellM and @LePallet. Hopefully they will be able to provide some suggestions for this problem. 

Thanks for joining in the discussion.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LePallet
Amassing an Audience

@AndrewL  I have never heard of this being done and I doubt yours will be done,. Even if it is done, nothing will be damaged as it’s only silicone so just twist hard and get the flange off, then peel the silicone off 

You could try a few drops of kerosene to soften up the silicone. There are also silicone removers available at Bunnings. Just dont know how it will affect the chrome. Im afraid this is on the hard level as the silicone has set and solidified itself on the body of the spindle. You can purchase similar spindles, handles and covers in caroma. How ever you may not have a choice bit to destroy your current set.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

@AndrewLRegardless of whether it has been siliconed or not, tapered flanges are notoriously hard to remove. There are no squared surfaces to get a grip on which can be a pain in and of itself, especially if the thread are semi-seized.
You could try one of two things I can think of-
1. Apply copious amount of tape around the flange, perhaps blue painters tapes, several layers should surfice. Then try multi-grip etc, but be careful as if you penetrate the tape, you will scratch the flanges.
2. I've got spindles out before using this method, though it would not be recommended by the manufacturer. First (with water off at the isolator or main) turn the handle anti-clockwise as if turning the water on, remove the handle and expose the top of the spindle, attach multi-grips/spanner to the top of the spindle and turn anti-clockwise.
This is effectively doing the same thing to the spindle as removing the flange and using a tap spanner on the nut of the spindle. The caveat is, the spindle is not designed to be removed that way, but if you can't gain access I've used this method several times before.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

If push comes to shove you will have to crush the bottom of the flange with multi grips. Its wide jaw should be sufficient to crimp the steel and then you can forcefully turn anti clockwise.

UPDATE: SOLVED
Thanks to all who replied. Have finally managed to open the flanges without damaging the chrome. Sprayed WD40 several times to loosen the silicon/corrosion. Bought the large Haron Strap Wrech from Bunnings and gave it several hard turns. Have replaced the faucets with quarter turn ceramic ones that I found on clearance at Bunnings!

A good solution :smile:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @MichaelK.

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We look forward to reading about your own plans and projects. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects