Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

My laundry reno

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

My laundry reno

Finished.jpg

Sorry it’s taken me longer than expected to get this post up. Back on the Easter long weekend I dedicated my time to a few things around the house, including this laundry reno which is easily my favourite DIY project yet – next up is the kitchen and ensuite :smile:

Out with the old…

To kick things off I obviously started with a design courtesy of Leah (Mrs ProjectPete) and regardless of how simple or difficult it was, it had to be done :smile: Time to rip out old boring old stuff.

splashbackremoved1.jpgsinkremoved.jpgclearedout.jpg

Once it was all out it was time to get started on repainting the walls and repositioning the powerpoints to a) not interfere with the new wall-to-wall splashback, and b) be hidden under the new wall-to-wall benchtop.

Painting – As we planned to install overhead cabinetry we marked out their position to save time, paint and money on painting unnecessary areas of the wall.

Powerpoints – This was a simple case of marking out where the benchtop will be, channelling the wall to the new position and filling the channel to be painted over.

• Install the back and sides of the centre cabinet to get a level for the benchtop position first.
  • Channelling the wall with an angle grinder is super dusty so cover up surrounding areas and vacuum straight away.
  • To make repositioning the cables easier and the refilling easier/smoother, use some PVC or flexible gas piping as shown in the pics.
  • Refill the bulk of the channel with cement and finish it with a smooth spakfilla, sanding it back to finish flush and smooth with the wall.

ppointchannel1.jpgppointchannel2.jpgppointfill.jpg

During the above steps and continuing after I measured out the new benchtop requirements which included the overall length and the cutouts for the new sink. Following that I sanded and stained the benchtop with a total of 3 coats, sanding after the 1st and 2nd. A 4th and final coat was due once fully installed in the laundry.

Cutting to size – I cut the lengths with my new Bosch Circular Saw from good old Bunnings.

Sink cutout – This was a straight forward job with my Ryobi jigsaw.

Sanding – First pass with the sander is key, get it done with some power. Then it’s just a light hand sand between coats.

The join – I hid this as best I could by putting it right in the middle of the benchtop so the sink would cover most of the join. Given the small amount of space to make the join, and to achieve the strength I needed, I used 12.5mm dowel joins.

Staining/sealing - Ensure every square inch of the wood is stained/sealed, including where you make cuts. This is to prevent the wood warping, especially is a moisture-rich room such as a laundry. Thanks for the prompt to include this @Andy_Mann :wink:

benchprep.jpgbenchtopin.jpg

I love woodgrain!

grain1.jpggrain2.jpg

With the benchtop ready for install, it was slotted in and fixed to the brackets before getting started on the subway tile splashback. This video on Workshop from Bunnings was all I needed to install my first splashback.

• Protect the benchtop – the 4th and final coat is done once the splashback is up and the overhead cabinets installed.
  • The only thing I remember doing differently to the video was when grouting. Instead of smearing grout all over the tiles, pushing into the gaps then cleaning…I focused by application of grout to the gaps, pushed/smoothed them and had much less clean up to do.
  • Get that first row right. As long as it’s straight and level, the rest will flow nicely.
  • Cutting tiles – for tiles this small, use an angle grinder and a steady hand to cut to size. Don’t bother with a tile cutter.

sbackprep.jpgsback1.jpgsback2.jpg

With the splashback finished it’s time to install the overhead cabinets then get the sink/plumbing finished off and the doors on the centre cabinet. The last thing to do is fill/sand the join then give the benchtop a final sand and coat.

cabinetsin.jpg

And in with the new…

Sorry for the crappy lighting/photos but I think you get the idea :smile:

final1.jpgfinal4.jpg

before.after.jpg

I hope at least someone gets something out of this and I’m more than happy to answer more questions about specific stages, just thought this gives a pretty good overview.

Bottom line – have a vision, plan for it, be ready to adapt and just go for it. There were some ‘firsts’ for me in this project and I’m super stoked with how well it all turned out.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Re: My laundry reno

My pleasure @ProjectPete - praise where praise is due in my book.  As I mentioned in a previous post I always had Pop, my dearest and favorite man in the entire world to be able to talk projects over with, pick his brains, ideas, but most of all support and encouragement but sadly he passed away almost a year ago and I lost the person who was there for me in my confusion and indecision or possibly procrastination.  But I found this site, and have found great strength and encouragement in reading comments, ideas and step to step posts such as YOURS @ProjectPete  @Jason  @2Belindas @gippslandhome  @redracer01  and many others like yourself, who have not only made, but taken the time to help us, so called learners and a lot of us  are Women as we don't always have role models to learn from and can't afford to pay trades people to do the work for us. So many of us just have to learn how to do things our selves or get ripped off looking for someone cheaper, who as the saying goes, we pay peanuts get monkey's which I've done in the past!

It has meant a great deal when someone such as yourself takes/makes time to help /teach us laymen in my case laywomen  how to lay tiles, install a cabinet or worktop.and to me it means so very much to have this site and the folks who use it.

Yes I know I can watch Youtube clips till I use up all my credit, but it's not the same as knowing, your real people who reply most of the time, the products can be purchased from a reputable business, such as Bunnings, HERE in Australia, and in my case just up the road, and if I need to return it because I purchase the wrong item I can. And I do!

Sometimes I even find a Bunnings staff member such as JOHN, an awesome fellow who works at my local DUBBO store and without him and his advice at times I would be up the SHIP Creek as many of us have been.

I have always liked to thank people who have helped me in any way shape or form as at times, I am to proud to ask for help, and I've been told far too many times I am too god dam independent for my own good.

So thank you once again folks..

Yes I've waffled again, sorry..

Old Gal

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Awesome work, Pete,

I totally agree with you with respect to using an angle grinder vs the tile cutter.

Being able to cut to a line, with an angle grinder, made with a fine Sharpie pen, is a skill that every DIYer worthy of the name should have.

However, beginners should start with a 4" (100mm) grinder and a 2mm thick cut-off disc, these are easy enough to control with one hand.

Fishvince
Building a Reputation

Hey mate,

I just came across this post (‘My Laundry Reno’ from May 2016) after I started a similar project renovating my bathroom/laundry and was looking for some answers/help.

First of all I’d like to say want an awesome job you did there!

Having also chosen a wooden benchtop (a Bunnings Accacia Benchtop Hardwax oiled, 26mm thick) I was wondering if you could advise how much expansion I should expect (i.e. should I leave the 5mm expansion gap on either side or could I leave a smaller one) and if I should use angle brackets with slots to fix the benchtop to the cabinets to allow for any movement or if I can screw it right into the support rails (made out of particle board) of the Kaboodle cabinets

Many thanks in advance

Vincent

Welcome to the Workshop community Vincent (@Fishvince).

It's fantastic to have you join us! Let me mention @ProjectPete to see if he can address your question about the expansion of your timber bench.

If you ever need any advice or have a project to share from around your home or garden, please let us know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @Fishvince!

Especially given the benchtop is in a moisture affected room (condensation, etc), definitely leave an gap for expansion - 5mm is sufficient. You're wall tiling will cover the gap.

No need for slots in the brackets IMO.

Keen to see how you project turns out!

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Indosean
Just Starting Out

Hi @ProjectPete ,

I stubbled across this on the front page.

Great job! What was the length of the benchtop in this project? I'm doing something similar and have 2140mm to work with.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Workshop community @Indosean.

I'm sure @ProjectPete really appreciates your feedback and hopefully can advise what length his benchtop is. I note that ProjectPete mentions he used two benches and joined them together with dowels to get the overall length. I have found several options of laminated panels 2200mm which could be used to cover your 2140mm space if trimmed down slightly.

If you have further question or need advice with your project, please let us know.

Mitchell

Wondering where you have got your WA Marri from? Have you used Marri in wet areas before? does it last well? I'm wanting to do our bathroom with marri bench tops but wondered how they lasted. Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Johno1. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

Let me mention the ever-helpful @ProjectPete to see if he can answer your questions about the timber he used in this project.

We'd like to follow along with your bathroom project and would encourage you to let us know if you need any assistance or if you would like to share it with the community.

Mitchell

AlexWW
Just Starting Out

Hi @ProjectPete ,

This looks fantastic - I am hoping to renovate my laundry in a similar way. I was wondering if you could explain how you attached the bench top to the wall? 

I would like to use a timber panel over a kaboodle base cabinet at one end and then have the bench running over the washing machine and dryer. Just trying to figure out how to attached the bench securely when it will not be resting on cabinets the whole way along. 

Thanks! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects