Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Itai's Reno - Ensuite

Itai
Becoming a Leader

Itai's Reno - Ensuite

Hey All.

It's been a while since I've posted. The permits have been received, and the builders are moving quickly! Wall is down, new ensuite structure is up!

I'm seeking some advice for the tiling of the ensuite.

I'm looking at two tone colour, with a moody colour scheme.

I've selected a Navy Blue + White and a charcoal floor.

This is the bathroom layout I was thinking and which walls the tiles would go on

bathroom.jpg

The cavity door is in the bottom right of this image.

I'm busy choosing between two Navy tile options:

https://tilecloud.com.au/collections/colour-blue-tiles/products/riverton-matt-subway-blue-tile

https://elegancetiles.com.au/product/popular_dark_navy_matt_100x300/

They will be laid vertically with a black grout and no staggering, to look something like this:

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 00.23.15.png

I'm making a custom vanity out of beechwood panels, and a black recessed mirror cabinet.

Now the opposite walls, I'm looking at something like this:

https://www.nationaltiles.com.au/flow-satin-white-tile

I was considering laying these horizontally and staggered subway style to create a contrast to the straight line navy blue.

Something like this:

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 00.31.04.png

I'm considering using a medium grey grout for these to pop them a little, but not strongly.

All fittings are black, and 90% of them have hints of rose gold.

I was really keen on the idea of having the top and right wall with the navy (like in the photo) and the bottom and left wall in the white. My builder has cast some doubt in my head by saying typically, you'd only make 1 wall the "feature" wall, in this case the top wall (relative to the diagram). So now I'm not sure if I would want the right wall to also be white. I worry it may take away from the look I'm going for.

I'm planning to have a low light filament globe hanging from a pendant (again, similar to image), except that it would be just left of the mirror so as not to get in the way of the cabinets. I'll also have a black long led makeup light over the top of the mirror.

Lastly, there'll be a led / extractor fan above the shower itself.

There are no windows in the bathroom, and I wanted to play to the low light rather than try and cover it up.

The dimensions of the bathroom are 2.7m x 1.1m. 

Also, is it worth putting in a single bulb heat lamp right in the middle of the room. I don't want one of those 3-in-1's as I'd like the fan over the shower.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Itai

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Itai's Reno - Ensuite

Hi @Itai,

It's sounding wonderful. Let me tag some experienced bathroom renovators in @ProjectPete@redracer01@2Belindas and @gippslandhome who might like to share their thoughts on your plans.

Good idea about the low light option, as long as the "makeup light" is really bright. In our main bathroom, we have a soft pendant light which is a lovely soft light perfect for when relaxing in the bath or (more commonly) providing a gentle introduction to the day after you've just woken up and are still rubbing the sleep out of your eyes. But we also have much brighter LED ceiling lights which you need when shaving, putting on makeup, etc. 

For what it's worth, here's what my wife and I did with our feature wall in our recent bathroom project, which was in a games room in our backyard (similar to a granny flat). All tiles are white except we continued the large format charcoal floor tiles up one feature wall. I tend to agree with your builder that it would be unusual to have more than one feature wall and I wonder whether the space might be too dark with no window, dark floors and two dark walls.  

145.JPG

I'm looking forward to the thoughts of other community members and seeing what you can achieve with your bathroom. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Itai
Becoming a Leader

Thanks Jason, that's a good point about it potentially being too dark.

I just wish there was a good way to visualise it :smile:

Regards

Itai

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@redracer01 

Any ideas about how @Itai might be better able to visualise her planned bathroom?

Jason

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Here are a few renders. The tile colors are not 100 percent accurate but you get the idea once it has been laid out. I suggest a square skylight near your shower. This will help alleviate the darkness within the bathroom and you wont have to turn on the light all the time you have to use the loo, it will also help accent your beautiful blue matt tiles that you have chosen. If it is too dark in the room the tiles loose their effect. Your black in wall mirror cabinet will loose its impact as all you can see from it is the black edge. But if that is the effect your going for then we shall leave it as is.

itai bath1.jpgitai bath2.jpgitai bath3.jpg 

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thanks for that @redracer01 :smile:

Hi All. I just realised I never did upload how it all came out. So here you go :smile:

P_20200928_174520_vHDR_On_HP.jpgP_20200928_174527_vHDR_On_HP.jpgP_20200928_174532_vHDR_On_HP.jpgP_20200928_174544_vHDR_On_HP.jpg

All the fixings are from Bunnings.

We opted not to put a towel rack up as we didn't want it above the toilet, we didn't want it on the white wall, as the shower door would open in to it. So instead we bought over the door towel hangers and put them on the fixed glass panel which worked well.

The basin is from bunnings too, we got it on a clearance sale!

The vanity I made myself from 2 panels of beechwood from bunnings. The draws are the $10 cabinet draw kit from bunnings, and then just a few runners.

In hindsight though, I'd maybe recommend buying a Kaboodle drawer kit, as I had many challenges trying to align the rails on the drawer vs on the side. Even till now, it's still not perfect. But looks good enough :smile:

The measurement of the bathroom is 2.65m long x 1.1cm wide.

The toilet was the hardest piece to acquire (due to research). It is extremely slimline (doesn't protrude from the wall that much). It's only 47cm from the wall to the edge of the toilet rim. There was only one toilet this small, the Caroma Invisi Series Compact toilet suite. It has some special properties to allow for this. 1. it is obvoiusly an inwall cistern. 2. The waste pipe actual goes down into the wall as there is not enough space for a floor outlet. It has a special adapter it comes with to make a standard pipe fit the thinner pipe which can go inside a standard 90mm cavity. So there you go!

In terms of lighting, we have got a black led + fan square in ceiling fitting, a single HPF heat lamp (it's not near enough, even in this little room! I'd recommend a double lamp), an above mirror makeup light and then the little pednant with a decorative 3w globe from bunnings. This pendant is great for midnight bathroom trips without blinding you. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Itai,

What a stunning bathroom you have created there! You must be extremely proud of your efforts and rightly so.

I'm a great fan of those blue tiles, the colour is fantastic.

Well done bring all these elements together perfectly. I trust your project will be of great inspiration to our members.

Many thanks for sharing the completed bathroom and we look forward to seeing your next project around the house and garden.

Mitchell

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Congratulations @Itai, it looks fantastic. We have now featured the project on our gallery and are sure your wonderful work will inspire many community members and visitors to the site. 

Thanks so much for sharing. We are looking forward to seeing what you tackle next. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects