Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas for Small Bathroom Reno - Small Budget

DanTM
Finding My Feet

Ideas for Small Bathroom Reno - Small Budget

20200421_111002-COLLAGE.jpg

I've already painted the walls white.  The toilet is in good condition but definitely need a new vanity.  Those floor tiles have to go as well and, if possible, a more modern shower.

Ta

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Ideas for Small Bathroom Reno - Small Budget

Hi @DanTM,

Many thanks for joining in the discussion on Workshop. Our members love a good renovation challenge so I'm sure you'll get plenty of helpful advice. 

Thanks also for the photos, but could you also please upload a sketch of your floor plan, including rough dimensions? That would really assist members to better see what you are working with and make more specific advice and suggestions. You might even be lucky enough for a wonderful member like @redracer01 to do some plans for you.

If you can also share what your goals are for the renovation and if you have a specific budget in mind, that would really assist members to provide great recommendations that are useful for you. Everyone has a different idea of what a "small budget" might be!

You might also get some inspiration from seeing what the @MakeItYours team achieved on a modest budget for their recent bathroom and ensuite projects

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DanTM
Finding My Feet

Thanks.   Here's something.  Hope it's enough.  Budget is maybe. 1-2K. Goals are ideally modern, clean, etc.  Leaning toward vinyl flooring over tiles for price and ease of install.

20200424_134948.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the sketch @DanTM, I'm sure that will help a lot. 

Let me tag some of our keen renovators on the site such as @Mathy@ProjectPete and @redracer01 to see if they might like to kick off the discussion about what you might be able to achieve with a budget of a couple of thousand dollars. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Hi @DanTM - my bathroom is the size of yours minus the toilet area. At least you’ve only got one door, I have two!! Seriously, I think @redracer01 is who we need here. He’s great at computer drawing of plans for using space, and has good ideas too. I’m not giving you the brush off, but I’m still flummoxed with what to do with mine, so not of much use at design. I’m good with painting, tiling ideas, so don’t hesitate to @Mathy so I get a notification, cheers Deb :smile:

Galvanise
Getting Established

Facebook marketplace is your friend, you should get a vanity on there for under $100, stone bench top another $50 - $100.  Are the tiles in there drummy or lifting at all because if not you could always tile straight over the top to save you the effort of ripping them up. You will only need 4 - 5 sq metres of tiles to do the entire floor and if your shower isnt included 4 sq should be enough depending how your cuts work out.  Pretty sure bunnings have floor tiles at around the $20 and under per sq metre so its its  gonna cost $100-$120 max for floor tiles another $50 maybe for glue grout and tools you will need pretty cheaps overall and far better then vinyl in my opinion 

@Galvanisehow do you propose he deal with the floor traps and the level of his shower if he tiles over the top of the floor?

Galvanise
Getting Established

His shower isnt tiled at the bottom its one of those old school ones with its own bottom built in, and if he removes it later and does another shower he can bed up to the level of the new tiles over the top and just lift his drains up 

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @DanTM 

That budget should be ideal for a light upgrade seeing as you will be doing most of the work. I really want you to do it with tiles. So much better and it solves so many problems. If you tile the entire area including the shower area, you will not have to buy a shower tray! You can still buy a shower door and return both framed and frameless the choice is yours. You can build a small plinth ( in cement ) or lower the shower area by just 25mm ( if possible ). Otherwise the shower door and return will be doing all the water blocking. It gives your bathroom a unified level and look, no more ugly shower tray to look at. The vanity you have seems like a ceramic one? yes? If so build your own wall hanging cabinet and recycle the top.  But if it is too much effort then standard wall hanging vanity will do ( unless the plumbing won't allow you ). The tile I suggested is both wall and floor applicable. I've placed a frameless so that you will have an idea of what it might look. I hope the drawings have given you an idea or two and have inspired you to explore other possibilities.

Cheers!

Red

DanTM1.jpgDanTM2.jpgDanTM3.jpgDanTMtop.jpgScreenshot_2020-05-01 Duratile 30 x 60cm Aggregate Grey Porcelain Floor Tile - 6 Pack.png 

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thanks.  Looks great.  So would this be tiling over the existing ones?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects