Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you change a toilet seal?

Lids
Getting Established

How do you change a toilet seal?

P1110680.JPGThe seal from the top of the toilet bowl needs replacing.

How do I go about it?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do you change a toilet seal

Hi @Lids,

Thanks for joining in the discussion on Workshop. 

Can you please share a photo of your toilet so members can see what you are working with and provide more specific advice? The brand and model of the toilet might also assist if you know it. 

Welcome to the community. Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Lids
Getting Established

P1110680.JPGLeft is the top to the cysternLeft is the top to the cysternseal to the bowl I've put gaffer tape to stop it leakingseal to the bowl I've put gaffer tape to stop it leakingtop to the cysterntop to the cysternThe seal to the bowl has cracked

I covered it in cling wrap and then gaffer tape to stop it leaking but then I turned the water off and used our other toilet.

I need to replace the seal from

the toilet bowl  to pipe which goes to the cystern.

I need to know what I should order from Bunnings and how do I do it

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Workshop community @Lids. I can assist with replacing the seal to your toilet bowl.

What you will need is a Kinetic 50mm Key Seal but it would be advisable to purchase a complete Kinetic 50mm Low-Level Flushpipe Kit as you might find additional seals need to be replaced.

Begin by isolating the toilet, there should be a tap valve on the wall next to the toilet or alternatively turn the mains water off. Flush the residual water out of the cistern and into the bowl.

Next, slide the nut cover down. 

Beneath the cover, you will find a large nut which can be undone with a pipe wrench. Once the nut is loosened you can remove the existing rubber seal from the toilet bowl. You may need to pry it away with a flat head screwdriver as they can get stuck on. Now that the pipe is not fixed at either end you can manipulate it out of position. Once the pipe is removed replace the rubber seals and re-install in the same fashion as you removed it.

With the new seal in place, it will look like this. Your old seal might be a larger one that goes over the ceramic inlet, the one pictured does the same job but goes inside.

If you need further assistance with the replacement of the toilet seals or have other questions, please let me know.

Mitchell

Lids
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you. I managed to detach the part and have ordered the part. Wish me luck when it arrives.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Lids.

Great work you are halfway there!

Let me know if you need a hand and I can guide you through the rest of the process.

Mitchell

Lids
Getting Established

When Bunnings delivers the goods, I'll let you know if I get stuck

Lids
Getting Established

Bunnings delivery was super fast and the toilet is FIXED. Thank you for your assistance

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Lids.

To think that just a few days ago gaffer tape was holding the toilet together and you didn't know how to fix the problem. Now here we are with a working toilet. Well done to you!

It's my pleasure to assist and I'm really happy you managed to get the issue sorted. Please remember to let us know anytime you need assistance and we are more than happy to help out.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects