Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ensuite vanity cold water tap issue

Barnesy
Growing in Experience

Ensuite vanity cold water tap issue

Hi all, total novice here! I have had some trouble turning our cold water tap on in our ensuite vanity. It's hard to turn on, doesn't turn far, and when it does the water only trickles out.

I replaced the washer even though it is only around 4 months old as when I took a look the existing one (rubber/plastic combo) seemed a bit caved in at the bulbous end. This however has not rectified the issue.

I am in a rental so before I jump through the hoops of logging a maintenance call and having to double handle things between the Real Estate and Landlord, are there any other quick fixes I could try to see if I can resolve the issue myself?

Cheers!

Edited to add photoIMG_20200520_142253.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Ensuite vanity cold water tap issue

Hi @Barnesy,

Welcome to the community. 

Could we please trouble you for some photos so we can see what you are working with? It will really help members to diagnose the problem. 

Thanks for joining us. Let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Barnesy .

It sounds like the issue lies within the spindle area if it is stiff to turn on and doesn't turn far. This picture shows the spindle being twisted until it comes out of its housing.

how-to-leaking-tap-leaky-tap-fix-a-shower-tap-leak3.jpg

You could unscrew the spindle out and check to see if those O rings inside are all chewed up. Lubricate it with Doustgrease and reassemble.

If that doesn't stop it ceasing up then I'd be calling the real estate.

Mitchell

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Barnesy
Growing in Experience

Thanks so much Mitchell, I'll give it a go - the pic is also a huge help. Fingers crossed! 

Barnesy
Growing in Experience

Fixed it Mitchell! Thank you! Will pick up some Doustgrease next time I'm in and check all the fittings as they likely have never been done (house is a project build about 9 years old). I checked the spindle and there was some build up - sorted that, spread the grease around the spindle evenly and that will do the trick until I get in store this weekend.

Thanks so much, you have helped me add another string to my otherwise clueless-female bow 👍

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@Barnesy it's a pleasure to be of assistance! Welldone! I'm on the site most days, so feel free to @MitchellMc me anytime.

Mitchell

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects