Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dispensing with a bathtub

Shane
Having an Impact

Dispensing with a bathtub

We are planning to renovate our two bedroom house, and considering ditching the bathtub to ensure more space in the bathroom, including a luxurious shower. I suspect that for resale most people would advise that you need a bath, but I hate the idea of cramming in a tiny bath that won’t be used. Would you buy a house without a bath?

Shane

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: Dispensing with a bathtub

Our bath rarely gets used but I would consider resale if you aren’t planning to stay for a long time. Without a bath you might be limiting your audience a little – for example, a couple who are thinking about having a baby or have young kids would likely want a bath.

That said, I’d reckon most people would prefer a luxurious shower than something horrendous like a shower over a bath or a really cramped design.

I'm with @Kermit. A killer shower is definitely the way to go, but you definitely need to consider the resale scenario. That being said, if you plan on staying in your current place for a fair while - just do whatever you want!

Down with baths!

I'm a big fan of a bath! Couldn't have been happier when I found out my new place would have room for one.

That being said, if your space only has room for the tiniest of bath tubs I would probably suggest not worrying about one. No point to a bath if there's no room to relax!

kaylah_rose
Making a Splash

I am very pro the bath for a number of reasons. 

1. I have numerous sport injuries, so the bath is perfect for aches and pains.

2. As a new home owner who is thinking of having a family, the thought of having a bath option available for potential kids is good.

However, I do think the bath size needs to be worth including. A small bath is never really a good thing. 

It seems that there is probably a market for re-sale regardless of whether or not your home includes a bath. Mixed opinions throughout!  

WisteriaLane
Cultivating a Following

In terms of resale I don't think it's a deal breaker if the house doesn't include a bath however it would be seen as a nice bonus. I would only include a bath if my bathroom was big enough as I wouldn't want to comprimise space. 

cupofchloe
Having an Impact

It's your home and you have to live in it, so unless it's an investment property - I would choose what I wanted the space to be, which for you seems to be an awesome shower with no bath. 

There are many reasons a couple planning to have kids or with kids choose a home, its not all about the bath. Also with young babies/children, they can just buy those small plastic baths and place them in the shower when the kids are little. My little boy is 1.5 yrs and hes having showers most days now.

Until recently, we lived in a house without a bath and it was perfectly fine until we had kids. Now that we have a bath at our new place my 18 month old daughter uses it daily - and it is a hell of a lot easier than using one of those cheap portable baths you can get from Kmart.

However, if you don't have kids, and you don't really use a bath much, then get rid of it for the increased space in the bathroom.

In the end, it's your place, so do what is best for you.

Shane
Having an Impact

Thanks for your comments everyone. 

Fyre
Cultivating a Following

Location > bath

I have never heard a person say " I don't like the area but the bath was so good that I just had to buy it"

Do what works for you and forget about re-sale now.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects