Workshop
Start a discussion

The Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Diary of a bathroom renovation

Community Manager Jason
Community Manager

Re: Diary of a bathroom renovation

We would always recommend you use a registered plumber @artrato3.

Jason

Show off your handiwork at the Workshop Gallery
jessorourke
Frequent Browser

Hi @Darren,

I'm enjoying reading your Diary. I have just bought a 1950's house and my bathroom it worse!! Just planning the reno now. I have had an electrician look at the house but he didn't mention the mains - can you give me more details about what needed to happen with the mains and why, how it was upgraded and the costs

I'm inspired to start a diary too.

Jess

Community Manager Jason
Community Manager

Hi @jessorourke,

That's fantastic that you have been inspired by @Darren's diary. We'd love you to create your own. I'm sure it would be very popular with Workshop members. Darren's diary has been one of the most-read discussions on the site. Perhaps you could click on the Start a discussion button and kick off with some photos of the house and your plans?

Congratulations on the purchase - this must be such an exciting time for you. And I certainly hope it's a great time to join Workshop and get loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration for your renovation projects. We have lots of members who are happy to share their knowledge and experience. Welcome aboard. 

Jason

Show off your handiwork at the Workshop Gallery
Darren
Experienced Contributor

Hi @jessorourke congrats on your purchase! I'm by no means an electrical expert - I'll leave that to the pros. As far as I understand it, we weren't getting enough power to our house to run everything, so an upgrade was required. If an electrician has had a look at your house and it was an issue I'm sure they would have mentioned it if it needed to be upgraded. Good luck with your renos and I look forward to reading your diary!

Highlighted
Cathgart
Budding Browser

Wow that looks fantastic but I’m pretty sure my bathroom was much worse than yours originally, we had the grey wall Lino all the way to the roof, and added feature of a pink toilet as well as the added joy of red and black carpet throughout the whole back area of the house including the Laundry, Dining Room and Kitchen. 

Caron
Budding Contributor

Had flagged this post way back ... and just popped up again, it was so nice to be able to read and follow from beginning to end. Loved you commentary - it was very informative. I'm going to do a bathroom refresh later this year (can't afford a total reno) and your lessons along the way has provided some invaluable information. Well done and I hope you are enjoying your new space.

P.S. curious about the big windows and privacy ... do you have blinds for when you are in the shower/bath?
Moderator DarrenS

Hi @Caron, thanks for reading and your kind words! We actuallly don't have blinds at this stage - but may add them later. For now though, we have fence extenders running along the fence and I've added some screens either side of the window for extra privacy. Also, I've been doing a bit of work on the garden area and made a water feature for the space as well. It's not completely finished - another screen to add and more planting to do, but it's getting there. Here are some progress pics, I'll post some more when I finally finish this off, maybe when it's a bit warmer!

bathroom---left.jpgbathroom---right.jpgBathroom---wide.jpg

Get to know our top contributors. check out the Workshop blog
Caron
Budding Contributor

Looks fantastic, love the screens and the hanging plants. A great sanctuary after a hard days work! Thanks for the update pics, the garden will look lovely when it is all grown. 

Why join the Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects