Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Diary of a bathroom renovation

Darren
Making a Splash

Diary of a bathroom renovation

EndResult.jpg

'We have the worst bathroom in the world,' Na says.

But because she's trying to talk and brush her teeth at the same time it sounds more like 'weavezewersebarfroominvaworlve'.

OK, maybe ‘worst’ is a slight exaggeration. The worst would be completely decrepit, not working and falling down, a take-your-life-in-your-hands-every-time-you-take-a-shower kind of bathroom. Ours isn't nearly that bad, it is functional after all. But it sure is ugly.

When we first moved in it was the worst room in a house that reeked of crimes against interiors. Pink walls, a pink bath, grey and pink tiles and a laminate vanity that even the 1970s would have rejected. Here, look at it.

original-bathroom_web.jpg

Inspired by watching every season of Selling Houses Australia we did a cosmetic reno - changed the tapware, updated the lighting, sprayed the tiles, painted the walls and replaced the stick-on vinyl floor tiles with basic porcelain ones. Shaynna would have been proud.

And for a while that was fine. But then things started to change. The spray-on surface started to lift and our two small children (Maddy is five and Ava is almost three) delighted in peeling it off during bath time. Fun! Even our dogs, Sid and Bella, got in on the act by scratching some of the paint off the tiles. And now it looks completely crap.

budget-reno-1_web.jpg

budget-reno-2_web.jpg

That was almost four years ago when we first moved to our renovator in Somers.

Somers clings to the south-eastern tip of Victoria’s Mornington Peninsula. It’s a quiet town - there’s the General Store, Post Office, a primary school, a kindergarten, the Lord Somers Camp and, well, that’s about it. If you walk down to the beach you can look across Western Port Bay to Phillip Island.

I’ve always thought that Somers was a very apt name for a coastal town; almost a little too perfect. Turns out though that it wasn’t someone in the council planning office trying to be a bit clever but it was named after a past governor of Victoria who established the Lord Somers Camp. Thank you, Wikipedia.

Some consider this to be the unfashionable side of the peninsula - it definitely isn’t Sorrento or Rye, but then it’s not Capel Sound either (Google it) - but we love it because it’s quiet and largely undiscovered.

Somers is made up of an odd mix of houses. Some are classic beach shacks that look like they were built over a series of weekends, others are Hamptons-inspired retreats that wouldn’t look out of place in Portsea, while other houses look like they belong on Ramsay Street.

Our house is one of the latter. It’s a late-50s cream brick veneer house that would look perfectly at home in any suburb - there are thousands just like it throughout Melbourne. There’s probably one on your street. Here’s a picture of it.

exterior-may-2017_web.jpg

Since moving here in mid-2013 we have renovated pretty much the entire place. We painted every wall, steamed off the colonial bush scene wallpaper (what was even stranger than the design was the decision of which walls to hang it on, random to say the least) and the chicken wallpaper in the kitchen. Next, we ripped up the green carpet and polished the beautiful floorboards that were hidden beneath. We knocked a wall out between the kitchen and dining room, windows have since become doors, and our kitchen and dining room now look out onto a large deck.

wallpaper.jpg

On weekends our two girls cut laps around the deck on their scooters like its Chapel Street on a Friday night, while our dogs laze happily in the sun, keeping one eye open in case one of the girls zigs when she should have zagged.

It’s not the kind of house you’ll ever see featured in a magazine - ‘Startling beachside renovation’. No, this house is a piece of suburbia that took a wrong turn and never bothered finding its way back.

But it’s home.

It’s taken a lot of weekends, holidays and evenings but finally the inside is taking shape, the tide has turned in the battle against the ugly. And emerging from the wreckage is a space that our family feels connected to and is proud to call home. We’ve worked together to complete as much of the work as our limited DIY skills have allowed us to, we’ve argued about light fittings and paint colours and come out the other side. Now as our renovation journey nears its end there’s just one room left, the bathroom - AKA the worst room in our home.

So my wife, Na, and I made the call - the bathroom has to go. We’ve decided on a full reno, a total gut job. This is the diary of our bathroom renovation.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Diary of a bathroom renovation

We would always recommend you use a registered plumber @artrato3.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Darren,

I'm enjoying reading your Diary. I have just bought a 1950's house and my bathroom it worse!! Just planning the reno now. I have had an electrician look at the house but he didn't mention the mains - can you give me more details about what needed to happen with the mains and why, how it was upgraded and the costs

I'm inspired to start a diary too.

Jess

Hi @jessorourke,

That's fantastic that you have been inspired by @Darren's diary. We'd love you to create your own. I'm sure it would be very popular with Workshop members. Darren's diary has been one of the most-read discussions on the site. Perhaps you could click on the Start a discussion button and kick off with some photos of the house and your plans?

Congratulations on the purchase - this must be such an exciting time for you. And I certainly hope it's a great time to join Workshop and get loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration for your renovation projects. We have lots of members who are happy to share their knowledge and experience. Welcome aboard. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @jessorourke congrats on your purchase! I'm by no means an electrical expert - I'll leave that to the pros. As far as I understand it, we weren't getting enough power to our house to run everything, so an upgrade was required. If an electrician has had a look at your house and it was an issue I'm sure they would have mentioned it if it needed to be upgraded. Good luck with your renos and I look forward to reading your diary!

Cathgart
Just Starting Out

Wow that looks fantastic but I’m pretty sure my bathroom was much worse than yours originally, we had the grey wall Lino all the way to the roof, and added feature of a pink toilet as well as the added joy of red and black carpet throughout the whole back area of the house including the Laundry, Dining Room and Kitchen. 

Had flagged this post way back ... and just popped up again, it was so nice to be able to read and follow from beginning to end. Loved you commentary - it was very informative. I'm going to do a bathroom refresh later this year (can't afford a total reno) and your lessons along the way has provided some invaluable information. Well done and I hope you are enjoying your new space.

P.S. curious about the big windows and privacy ... do you have blinds for when you are in the shower/bath?

Hi @Caron, thanks for reading and your kind words! We actuallly don't have blinds at this stage - but may add them later. For now though, we have fence extenders running along the fence and I've added some screens either side of the window for extra privacy. Also, I've been doing a bit of work on the garden area and made a water feature for the space as well. It's not completely finished - another screen to add and more planting to do, but it's getting there. Here are some progress pics, I'll post some more when I finally finish this off, maybe when it's a bit warmer!

bathroom---left.jpgbathroom---right.jpgBathroom---wide.jpg

Looks fantastic, love the screens and the hanging plants. A great sanctuary after a hard days work! Thanks for the update pics, the garden will look lovely when it is all grown. 

SammyE
Cultivating a Following

Hi Darren,
This is truly amazing!!! A BIG thank you for taking time to share the whole story. That is so helpful for a newbee! Keep writing and have lots of new creative ideas popping up while enjoying a shower and that view from the bathroom! :laugh: Fantastic!

Thanks for your diary. I have been so inspired, and love your sense of humour 🙂 Can I ask what percentage of total cost was the under floor heating?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects