Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Clean or replace bathroom ceiling?

hermes
Cultivating a Following

Clean or replace bathroom ceiling?

DD286BD4-58E7-4BF9-BF73-418CF519028A.jpeg

Advice appreciated regarding replacement or cleaning of small  bathroom ceiling. Bathroom measures 2.2W x2.4L x2.9H

EACBE99D-3D49-4912-95D5-E05291138246.jpeg

Besides the obvious installation of a ceiling exhaust fan, would you replace the ceiling or clean the mould? I have been instructed both ways, and even to use clove oil to clean the mould. 

Also, bearing in mind the extent of the mould, would you place a man hole in the new planned bathroom ceiling or in the hallway adjacent? Roof cavity height for both spaces are similar.

Thank you in advance.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Clean or replace bathroom ceiling?

Looks fantastic @hermes. Well done!

Enjoy your new bathroom.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Looking at those pictures I doubt there’s asbestos there. It looks like old gib not done properly and therefore will be pretty safe.

hermes
Cultivating a Following

From memory, there was an unknown substance in the walls of kitchen pantry which was suspected asbestos, though I couldn’t be certain. Picture herein. Out of interest, how is asbestos disposed of if is found in future? I have other projects to be done over the holiday period (translation: for the rest of my working life!)

32517667-A9D8-4CED-8BDC-41CE1C70740D.jpeg

The bathroom had no waterproofing membrane on the walls, though could you explain what is ‘gib’?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@hermes,

Just a reminder that grave health hazards are linked to asbestos which may be in homes built up to 1990. For information on the dangers of asbestos, and tips for dealing with any that you might uncover, contact your local council’s Environmental Health Officer or click on the links contained on the Health and Safety section of the Bunnings website.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
hermes
Cultivating a Following

Very helpful links and devouring all the info! A timely reminder for being mindful and safety first 

D92317AA-22B1-4C98-9ED8-2346C8751A1A.jpeg

Please explain ‘gib’. Thanks.

It’s hard to tell what’s there from the angle of the picture.

Gib is short for Gibraltar Board and is also called plasterboard and I believe America loves to call it drywall. Here in NZ Gib is a brand name but the board is basically plaster sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard. Old versions had very thin sheets of card, almost paper thin. Newer versions are thicker and you can get water resistant versions and even fire resistant versions.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects