Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cast Iron Bath repair

LC1
Just Starting Out

Cast Iron Bath repair

Any recommendations on what type of putty to use on a damaged cast-iron bath? The drain hole has rusted badly and after removing the rust . I'll need to reinforce it before using a tub and tile paint. 

The options and issues with different types of fibreglass or steel putties seem mind boggling so would appreciate any advice if someone's here has experience with this? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Cast Iron Bath repair

@LC1,

Sounds like a great project. I hope someone in the Workshop community can provide some assistance. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. I hope you find plenty of great advice, information and inspiration. 

Please let me know if you need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

I will also be interested to hear suggestions, particularly about whether you would use old school "plumber's putty" like this - http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/pipe-thread-sealants/4593073/ - or go with silicone like most modern plumbers seem to use on everything. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Brad and @darylhewston, can you assist with this post or point @LC1 in the right direction?

Thanks heaps,

Jason

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

@LC1

Concur with @Brad or what I have previously used for emersion repairs is Selleys Knead It Aqua.  Easy to sand and shape and can be painted.

When my sister wanted to refresh her tub, we discussed doing the DIY thing, however got it done professionally in the end.  Actually turned out costing less than we thought and believe me, there is no way our attempt would have turned out anything like the end result.  Something to consider.

Cheers

Daryl

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @LC1,

Trust you found the advice from community members useful. How did you go with the repair?

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects