Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can flexible tile adhesive be used to encase electric under tile heating instead of floor leveler?

Cortix
Finding My Feet

Can flexible tile adhesive be used to encase electric under tile heating instead of floor leveler?

Hi, I have a DIY electric floor heating system and just wondering if you can spread out a layer of a flexible tile adhesive (Davco Ultraflex) to help encase the wires prior to tiling or is a floor leveler really required?

Tiling over concrete slab in the bathroom.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Can flexible tile adhesive be used to encase electric under tile heating instead of floor levele

Hi @Cortix,

Welcome to the Workshop community. Great to see you make your first post. 

Let me tag some experienced members in @gippslandhome@ProjectPete and @PJA to see if they might like to kick off this discussion for you. 

Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house and garden.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can flexible tile adhesive be used to encase electric under tile heating instead of floor levele

Welcome @Cortix to the Workshop community. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist with it.

Davco Ultraflex can have difficulties adhering to electric floor heating systems. Manufacturer Davco recommends using Ultrabond Primer to fill the height of the heating system if it is under 3mm thick. Ultrabond comes in a two-part system (Primer and Bond Enhancer Powder Part 1 and Primer and Bond Enhancer Liquid Part 2). You may then use Davco Ultraflex over that surface for tiling purposes.

If the heating system is thicker than 3mm, then Lanko 133 should be used instead. This Davco product is also a two-part system (133 Pro Level Floor Leveller and Lankolatex additive). You may then use Davco Ultraflex over that surface for tiling purposes.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need further assistance. Thanks once again for your question.

Mitchell 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects