Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Before and after laundry renovation

Ajmod
Building a Reputation

Before and after laundry renovation

Just finished my laundry reno – thought I would share with the group.

Our laundry connects with our only guest toilet, so we wanted to create a space that functioned as a laundry, but also served as a guest bathroom.

We tried to maximise the space with new cabinetry -  the washing machine is now tucked away inside the tall cupboard, with provision for a dryer on top (yet to purchase).

Couple of things to finish it off – we plan on adding in shelving inside the cupboard above the washing machine until it comes time to purchase a dryer.

We also need to paint our back door and add in a handrail for the handtowel.

Anyone else going through a laundry reno? Share your pics! Happy to share advice and do my best to answer any questions.

laundry-new2.jpg

laundry-old.jpg

Nik2
Just Starting Out

Re: Before and after laundry renovation

Love this @Jason ! We're working on something similar at the moment. Can I ask where did you get your laundry doors and tracks from?? We can only find custom in that height ($$$). And do you find they are sound-proof enough when the washing machine is going? Ta, Nik

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Nik2. I look forward to reading more about your own project and plans.  

Unfortunately the doors were custom so I can't assist you with those. They are definitely not sound proof - when the washing machine is in the fast spin cycle it can be heard, but we don't find it a big issue. The doors dampen the noise sufficiently. 

Welcome to the community, and please feel free to contact me anytime you need a hand getting the most from the site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
KevinMall
Making a Splash

good on you. well done.

kalebabu
Getting Established

Hi just wondering which tall cabinet did you use to fit the wm in please? I am having trouble finding cabinet deep enough to fit my wm, which in approx 680mm with space for hose and lid.

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kalebabu. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about this fantastic project.

It's been some time since @Ajmod contributed this project, but let me mention them to see if they can provide you with an answer.

By the looks of it, that's doesn't appear to be an off the shelf solution. I'd presume it has been custom made to suit the depth required. You might like to submit an enquiry through your local store's Special Orders counter. I'm sure their Kitchen Expert would be more than happy to investigate a solution for you. Kaboodle does do custom cabinets, and there might be a panel that can be used to create your depth requirement.

The other option might be to customise a standard cabinet and position it spaced out from the wall. Filler strips could be used to cover up the gap at the rear.

Let me mention my skilled colleague @EricL to see if he has any nifty suggestions.

Mitchell

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @kalebabu

I agree with @MitchellMc's assessment that this is no ordinary washing machine cabinet. The size that you've indicated is outside the range of flat pack cabinets. You may have to consider custom building an enclosure for your washer and dryer. I have drawn a sketch below that should give you some ideas of how to lay it out. Please tell me if you wish to see it in another configuration. 

I suggest using CustomWood MDF 2400 x 1200 x 18mm Standard MDF Panel as the side panels. When properly supported with timber bracing inside you should be able to use this as a cover panel for your washing machine. I recommend using 89 x 19mm x 2.4m Premium Grade Dressed Pine as an interior brace and hinge mounting point for the doors. 

Let me tag our experienced members @JoeAzza and @JDE for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric  

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @kalebabu

I agree with .@MitchellMc and I like .@Ericl's design also. Have you had a look at Bunnings wardrobes and doors that may be modified to suit your needs.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?q=wardrobe&sort=BoostOrder&page=4&pageSize=36

kalebabu
Getting Established

Thanks @EricL for drawing that up and good ideas to use custom.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects