Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Another bathroom reno done and dusted

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Another bathroom reno done and dusted

after1.jpgJust thought I'd share some work I've just completed for a customer. Total of 21 hours work over 3 days (allowing for drying times, etc). As always, happy to answer questions and explain how I did things for those interested.

Guest bathroom

This was the business end of the job with a complete refresh of wall tiling, a new vanity, updated tapware throughout and a new glass panel. My customer wanted to remove the bath and while I was keen on the job, I advised against it from a practicality and resale value perspective - it's the only bath in the house. Whilst it doesn't get used as a bath at the moment, future owners with babies/kids would really benefit from the bath and given the house is smaller and on the lower end of the price range, I'd expect a new/small family to be the next owners.

All that's really left now is for the new roller blinds ot be installed and for my customer to give it a fresh paint, ideally white or a light grey and it'll be spot on :bigsmile:

Before

before1.jpg before2.jpg before3.jpg

During

vanity.jpg  grout.jpg

After

after1.jpg  after2.jpg

Ensuite

Quick and easy job this one but certainly a big improvement. I'll end up doing the shower in her too - it's just a case of budget at the moment.

20181115_150705.jpg 20181118_163215.jpg

Would love to hear your thoughts

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Re: Another bathroom reno done and dusted

Great job @ProjectPete. Tough decision on the bath but personally I would have removed it. It's just dangerous and impractical to step in and out of a bath each day to take a shower. Babies can always be bathed in a portable baby bath, then move onto a shower when they're toddlers. 

Yeah fair enough @MartyH - pros and cons. I do agree with the point you've made and it was considered. And I'm gald you said something to create a bit of discussion :smile:

In the end, I combined my experience of having twin girls and how much a) easier it is to bathe them than shower them, and b) how much they love having a bath, with advice from a real estate agent friend of mine (re resale value) to make the recommendation. I didn't force the customer this way, just gave them something to think about and they were happy with it.

----------
Handy and helpful
SammyE
Cultivating a Following

Nice work Pete! Would you mind sharing the rough budget for this project? Tnx.

Off the top of my head @SammyE the materials cost around $3,000. I had to import one of the vanities to get the customer's preference - if they had of gone for a Bunnings one, it would've kept the budget down a bit more.

• 300x100 subway tiles you can expect to pay $15-20sqm - you may just need to look around as most tile places will charge >$30sqm.
  • Vanities come in decent styles, good quality and reasonable prices from Bunnings.
  • The bathroom fixtures (shower, taps, etc) also come at great value from Bunnings.

----------
Handy and helpful

Hey Pete
Are you a licensed Plumber?
and did that quote include fixing Labour?
SammyE
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @ProjectPete . 

tracymonks
Finding My Feet

What an awesome project, looks great! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects