Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

1CM thick tile on 6mm villaboard wall, is it safe?

axiskafi
Just Starting Out

1CM thick tile on 6mm villaboard wall, is it safe?

Hi,

I am renovating my bathroom. I am planning to put full wall tiles on my bathroom wall, 6mm viallboard. right now I have half wall tiled. I have 60x60 cm, 1cm thick vitrified porcelain tiles  and in my eyes they are quite heavy. Can I use those 1cm thick tiles on my bathroom wall? Should I have to use special kind of glue or adhesive for it? is it safe?

Thanks

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: 1CM thick tile on 6mm villaboard wall, is it safe?

Hi @axiskafi,

Welcome to Workshop. We're really pleased to have you join the community and look forward to reading all about your projects and plans. Please feel free to post whenever you need a hand.

Sorry that you haven't had a response to your tiling question as yet. Let me tag a few of our experienced community members for you.

@ProjectPete@redracer01@BIM_Engineer@Brad

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @axiskafi

In my experience the villaboard should be strong enough to hold the tile. How ever it is best to confirm with the manufacturer.  www.jameshardie.com.au/products/ or you may google villaboard. If the villaboard is securely braced/attached to the timber frame it should take the weight of the tiles you are about to attach on the wall. A superior tile glue such as Dunlop resaflex or perhaps universal tile adhesive should secure the tile to the wall with no issue. Read carefully the weight tollerance of the tile glue you are about to use. Sometimes they do have weight limits. If it proves to be too difficult you have to use a lighter smaller tile for your wall. Goodluck!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Villaboard instalation

Section 8 on page 16 is a good starting place.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects