Workshop
Ask a question

What ceiling hook to use to hang Xmas lights under eaves?

Samara1
Growing in Experience

What ceiling hook to use to hang Xmas lights under eaves?

Which ceiling hook to use to hang Xmas lights under Eaves in 1st floor in 2 storey façade (no balcony). Dont want to nail the hook in stone pillar so want to add this hooks under eaves. Kindly suggest any specific hook which is deep enough to screen thru the eaves board to stud. thanks

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: ceiling hook to use to hang Xmas lights under Eaves

Hi @Samara1,

Eave sheets are usually only 4.5mm thick such as this James Hardie 2400 x 750 x 4.5mm HardieFlex™ Eave Sheet.

With this being said, the vast majority of hooks you will find are going to be fine because the lightweight nature of Christmas lights.

Something like these Everhang 14mm Zinc Plated Cup Hooks should be fine.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Jacob

Samara1
Growing in Experience

ah interesting. i thought under eaves sheet will be 10mm thick similar to gyprock

bec i want stronger one to hold for long time during heavy wind, thought to go with hook which pass thru Eaves and screw to Stud under eaves for stronger screwing. any longer screws available to for this. kindly advise. 

my eaves size is 15.6m (2) x 8.5m (2) rectangle sized and planning to cover this area for lighting so how many screws and in what distance may be required for hanging lights

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The screws @Jacob has linked to will be fine, @Samara1. Their screwed section is 13mm long, and once it passes through your 4.5mm eave sheet, you'll be left with 8.5mm screwed into the stud. For slightly more screwed into the stud, you could jump up to the Everhang 17mm White PVC Cup Hook. Basically, the larger the hook you use, the longer the screwed thread.

I'd be looking at adding a hook at least every 800mm along the light span. This prevents them from drooping significantly between mounting points.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Samara1
Growing in Experience

Great thanks @MitchellMc @JacobZ 

1) hope this hooks wont spoil the facade look or i will paint it with Eaves white

2) total roof perimeter area i calculated for my home comes around 73390mm which means i need 73 hooks if i go one hook per meter - Is this seems to be too much hook :smile:   (attached image below)

First floor roof area = 52920 mm = 52 hooks

Alfresco roof area = 20470 mm = 20 hooks

3) some of the roof area i cannot reach bec my Garage wall is on zero lot near to fence and also the Firstfloor roof above Alfresco roof. 

4) bec its 2 storey with 2.7meter ceiling heights of both floors, only challenge for me is to reach this hook which is 5.7 meter height from ground level to hang the serial lights around the perimeter of my First floor ceiling

Samara1_0-1716256018472.png

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Samara1,

The number of hooks you install is entirely up to you, but there is no real need for one every metre as they do not support much weight. You might consider spacing them out slightly, maybe at 2-metre intervals. This would give a draped look to the Christmas lights that I feel would look very nice.

I don't have an advisable method for you to install them yourself at that height and with limited access, so it may be worth asking your builder to install the hooks at the same time they are installing the eaves. They could then be painted over when the eaves get painted blending them in nicely with their surrounds.

When it comes to the time of year, when you need to install, or remove the Christmas lights, you could use a Hy-Clor 1.2m - 3.6m Extension Pole 3 piece with some Selleys 75g Ezy Tack to get them into place and remove them.

Let me know what you think and if there's anything else I can help with.

Jacob

Samara1
Growing in Experience

Great thanks @JacobZ 

Eaves is finished already and still scaffolding available as the external painting work is progressing. 

so i hope the hooks could be installed under Eaves with studs, but how to find the studs under the Eaves so the hooks could be installed correctly under Eaves with Studs . 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Samara1 

You could use a stud finder to scan for the studs in the eaves. However, if there is a timber piece behind the fascia it might be possible to screw into that piece. I propose doing a traditional test with a small nail and hammer to see if there is a timber piece running along the length of the rafters.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Samara1
Growing in Experience

Great thanks @EricL 

Do you the timber piece running under the eaves as points in red arrows below?

could i just screw the hooks in this timber piece and install the serial lights which is closer to wall and also the 450mm eaves protects it from rain

Samara1_0-1716302331112.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Samara1,

It appears that you could fix into that timber. 

You might want to check with the builder about using their scaffolding to access the site. I can't imagine their insurance would cover your usage. A construction site is a dangerous place, and access is typically restricted to construction workers until the final handover is completed. 

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects