Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you use yellow tongue in laundry (wet area) for rebuild due to previous leakage ?

Bunnovices
Just Starting Out

Can you use yellow tongue in laundry (wet area) for rebuild due to previous leakage ?

Hi Fellow Bunnings member

Newbie here to forum

I'm in the process of contacting tradesman to help me repair my entire laundry as the subfloor has water stains/black marks below it. This is due to cracks in the tiles and hot water system bursting /water seeping through.

All the tradesman have quoted yellow tongue as a replacement for the subfloor except one? But according to this site, it saying no?

https://www.nutrend.net.au/bathroom-renovation-information/why-floor-preparation-is-crucial-for-a-ba....

Has the rule changes recently? Who is correct? Should they be using fibre celment board instead?

Thanks in advance!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you use yellow tongue in laundry (wet area) for rebuild due to previous leakage ?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Bunnovices. It's splendid to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about using structural particle board flooring in a wet area.

I've double-checked with our supplier; it can be used and is compliant with codes. Early last year, there was a revision of codes that left it open to interpretation, but that has now been qualified. As long as the boards are glued together with construction adhesive and any cutouts are treated, they can be waterproofed and then tiled over. However, adding cement sheeting over the particle board or using compressed cement sheeting instead, will create a more rigid substructure if you have concerns about tile or grout cracking.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects